This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RWKsinglefruit #CollectiveBias
It’s peak Baltimore summer and coolers are a great way to enjoy a refreshing beverage at any time of day. Today’s tart cherry ginger cooler recipe features fresh ginger, ginger ale, and R.W. Knudsen Organic Just Tart Cherry® Juice which has been reduced into a delicious tart cherry syrup.
I served a similar version of this cooler at our housewarming party – you know, the one where I made nachos for 50 people – a couple of months ago, and it was flying off of the proverbial shelves. So it was the perfect thing to recreate in partnership with Target and R.W. Knudsen Family® Single Fruit Juices.
All of the juices in this line, including the Tart Cherry and Cranberry varieties featured here today, are non-GMO, organic, unsweetened, and made from just the single fruit. This is the only juice I like to buy -when I want tart cherry, I want actual tart cherry!
And so, I hopped on my bike during my lunch break one day last week and made the short trip to the Target at Canton Crossing in eastern Baltimore. Although I was there to buy the cranberry juice and tart cherry juice for this recipe, I left with a whole basket of other delicious vegan things, because that always seems to happen to me at Target. Later that day I was messaging my friend Eden who had ALSO been to Target that day, and it turns out we bought several of the same plant-based goodies. Great minds…
To make this tart cherry ginger cooler, you only need a few simple ingredients. Ginger ale forms the base. Tart cherry juice is infused with fresh ginger and reduced until thickened, and the syrup is drizzled into the drink. (This is a concept I’ve been in love with since substituting tart cherry for pomegranate once in my pomegranate Brussels sprouts recipe).
Target is currently running a Cartwheel promotion for 25% off R.W. Knudsen Family® Single Fruit Juices at Target. You can find the details here. Find Target and R.W. Knudsen on social media at @RWknudsen and @target (Facebook); @RWKnudsen and @target (Twitter), and @target (Instagram).
Tart Cherry Ginger Cooler
- 1 cup tart cherry juice
- 1 1/4-inch slice fresh ginger
- 1 and 1/2 cups ginger ale
- Stir together the tart cherry juice and ginger in a saucepan (nonstick will work best), and cook over medium heat until combined. Reduce to medium-low, and simmer uncovered. You want the heat to be just high enough that the simmer is nice and steady.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes (depending on temperature and surface area), or until the mixture is thickened and reduced by more than half. As it gets thicker, check it more frequently, to avoid burning. Remove the mixture from the heat and take out the ginger slice. The reduction will thicken more as it cools.
- To each glass, add some ice, about 1/2 cup cold ginger ale, and about 2 tablespoons to taste of the tart cherry reduction. Enjoy cold.
Sources consulted: Serious Eats.