About a year and a half ago I shared a picture of my double vegan chocolate banana bread on Instagram and received many requests for the recipe. I’m fiiinally sharing it now.
Has this been a theme lately? I feel like it’s been a theme lately. Anyway, practicing banana bread recipes is unexpectedly difficult because it requires the confluence of perfectly overripe bananas and sufficient time and motivation to bake and cool the bread.
Despite the fancy looking marbled chocolate swirl design, it’s actually quite easy to make this delectable eggless loaf. As you can probably tell from the sorry state of my cake decorating skills, making intricate desserts is not my forte, but this banana bread doesn’t mind. As long as you drag around a toothpick in the batter a little bit, it will bake up into something gorgeous.
Allow me to expound on the reasons that make this vegan chocolate swirl banana bread awesome:
- It’s 100% whole grain, made with whole wheat pastry flour; but can be substituted with plain flour based on pantry availability
- Similarly it can be made either oil-free or using vegetable oil
- Despite being fluffy and moist, baking this dairy-free chocolate banana bread doesn’t require opening a jar of applesauce that will then fester in the back of the fridge for weeks
I’m partial to this vegan chocolate banana bread made with simple ingredients. Bake it this weekend, then slice it and enjoy it throughout the week. Frost it like a cake, or serve it with jam or vegan butter (pictured is my favorite Miyoko’s). The choice is yours 🙂
Marbled Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or use regular sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil of choice (I use grapeseed oil)
- 1/3 cup plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or use all-purpose flour) (measure by scooping)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp hot water divided
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the banana until smooth. Add the sugar, vanilla extract, oil, and non-dairy milk. Whisk together until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and stir together just until combined (lumps are OK).
- Scoop 1 cup of the batter into a second mixing bowl. Stir together the cocoa powder with 3 tablespoons of the hot water until smooth, and add it into the second bowl of batter, stirring just until combined. Stir the other 3 tablespoons of hot water into the first bowl of batter, also until just combined.
- Grab your prepared loaf pan. Alternate scooping scant 1/2 cup scoops of the chocolate and regular batter into the pan until all of it is used. Then, take a toothpick, a wooden skewer or a knife, stick it into the batter, and swirl it around a few times to marble the different batter together.
- Bake the vegan chocolate banana bread uncovered for approximately 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out crumby rather than gooey. Let the bread cool completely before removing it from the pan and slicing into it (at least 30 minutes).
Recipe adapted from Isa Does It.