Fresh green peas are tossed with parsley, red onion, smoky tempeh bacon, and creamy dairy-free ranch dressing to make this lovely vegan pea salad.
If you aren’t from certain regions of the United States, you might be asking, “what on earth is pea salad?” as several of my friends did before I gave them a sample of this amazing vegan pea salad.
When in doubt, apply the standard formula: take a vegetable, drown it in mayo, and then add a little bit of cheese for good measure. 😀
But this is Yup, it’s Vegan, after all, so I’ve got an actually healthy pea salad for you that’s made from whole plant-based foods and full of nutrients!
You’ll only need a few simple things:
- Fresh or frozen green peas
- My easy vegan ranch made from hemp seeds and cashews (or your favorite plant-based ranch)
- Red onion and parsley
- Tempeh bacon or a smoky plant-based protein/nut of your choosing, such as tofu bacon or blackened chickpeas. If you’re not in the mood to make one of these items yourself, Lightlife Tempeh Bacon or Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds are some awesome store-bought pics!
A little trick I picked up for dishes where red onion is served raw is to soak the red onion pieces in cold water for a few minutes (and then drain & dry them) before mixing them in. It takes away some of the “bite” of the the raw onion while still retaining the color, texture, and onion-y accent.
From there, all that’s left to do to complete this vegan pea salad is to mix the whole thing together. Now you’ve got yourself a crowd-pleasing summery salad that’s actually healthy and satisfying!
Vegan Pea Salad
- Soak the diced red onion in cold water for 5-10 minutes, then drain it and pat dry.
- Combine the onion, peas, parsley, and tempeh bacon in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup of dressing, stir to combine, then add additional dressing according to your preference.