I’m finally back with a new recipe! And yes, it’s another salad today. We don’t have AC on the first floor and it’s just been too humid/hot in the kitchen to do anything with the oven, standing over the stove, or having to reheat the leftovers. I must say, though, this curry quinoa potato salad puts other salads to shame. This is substantial and finger-licking good.
This isn’t my first time making curry + quinoa, and I honestly might have just gone with the mango curry hummus again if I had any mango around! Sometimes having to invent something out of the pantry is a blessing in disguise, though. This cashew-based curry dressing is delightful if, I say so myself! The freshly ground pepper hits you right away and the cayenne pepper lingers afterward, complementing the sweetness and warmth of the curry. Fresh bell peppers (I can’t get enough right now), green onion and grapes round out this bowl of goodness.
As a brief explanation of my absence this past week, our sweet kitty got sick (she’s totally better now!). Right after that we headed up to New York for a much-needed visit with family. My parents came from Montana to meet us there at my dad’s sister’s place in Westchester County. We had a wonderful, relaxing weekend enjoying each other’s company. I played a lot of tennis, a lot of Pinochle, and most importantly, I didn’t turn on the phone or computer the entire time. I’m sad that I didn’t get to cook up any vegan eats for blogging about, but I feel rejuvenated from my technology break. On a fun note, I got to eat at one of Joe Bastianich’s restaurants, Tarry Lodge. Far from a vegan restaurant, but several options are available, and the wine list is fantastic.
I’m still figuring out the lighting situation at our new place. Hence this pictures of the curry quinoa potato salad taken outdoors on the porch, and the zucchini noodle salad pictures taken atop a random chair. But anyway, I can return to my regular posting schedule now, barring any more cat emergencies and what not. By the by, please let me know if my site has been acting up for you lately. I have noticed some slow loading times but I’m not sure if it’s because we downgraded our internet to DSL =].
- ¼ c. raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 tb. tahini
- 1 and ½ tb. agave nectar, or 2 tb. brown rice syrup, or other sweetener to taste
- 2 tsp. Indian curry powder
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tb. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- salt to taste
- ½ c. quinoa (measured uncooked; I used red), cooked in vegetable broth
- 2 and ½ to 3 cups cubed potatoes, skins on, cooked & lightly salted
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 spring onions, white and lower green parts, thinly sliced
- 3 tb. chopped fresh cilantro
- (optional) ¼ c. chopped red or green grapes
- curry cashew dressing (recipe above)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, adding water or nondairy milk 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to blend.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Toss together all ingredients. Serve at room temperature or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.