Thank you Village Harvest for sponsoring this post. Every day Village Harvest is planting seeds of change and growing possibilities, one bag of goodness at a time.
This summer I *finally* got tired of eating oatmeal every day for 7 years. Instead, I’ve been craving savory breakfasts something fierce. For most of June I didn’t know what to do with myself and was eating plain pan-fried tempeh, but I’ve wised up and created some better recipes now – like these vegan chickpea breakfast burrito bowls.
Instead of making my burrito bowls with ordinary rice, I used Village Harvest’s Organic Antioxidant Blend, which is a combination of black rice, black lentils, and black quinoa. This blend is rich in nutrients and has a gorgeous dark purple color that I think looks amazing with the other chickpea burrito bowl ingredients.
Now that I’ve been incorporating more strength training into my workout regimen, eating nutritious post-workout breakfasts is super important to me and this lentil and grain mix fits the bill. To complete my breakfast chickpea burrito bowls I made a batch of spicy blackened garbanzo beans (yes, again!), chopped some purple cabbage, and added some prepared mango salsa, along with a super quick avocado crema made from guacamole.
Village Harvest also has two other blends in this series: the Organic Ancient Grain Blend (millet, quinoa and buckwheat); and the Organic Protein Blend (brown jasmine rice, lentils, and quinoa). All three blends are available in Village Harvest’s online shop; you can also fill out this product request form for your local store.
As a rice lover as well as someone who cares about sustainability, I’m also excited that Village Harvest donates 1% of their profits toward the farmers and local communities where their products are sourced.
All of my little shortcuts help these spicy Mexican inspired bowls come together quickly, even for breakfast. And I am happy to report that I was able to successfully cook the Organic Antioxidant Blend in my rice cooker – I set it to start ‘brown rice’ mode as I’m headed out the door for my workout and it’s cooked by the time I’m done with my shower.
Spicy Vegan Chickpea Breakfast Burrito Bowls
- 1 cup Ancient Harvest Organic Antioxidant Blend (un-cooked; see notes) (or use rice or grain of choice)
- 1 batch blackened chickpeas
- 1 cup guacamole (or 1 well-mashed avocado)
- 1 tbsp freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 head red cabbage chopped
- 1 cup prepared salsa of choice (I used mango salsa)
- fresh cilantro (optional) for serving
- Combine the rice blend with 2 and 1/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 25-30 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. (Note: also works in a rice cooker).
- If you haven't already, prepare your blackened chickpeas according to the instructions.
- Whisk together the guacamole or mashed avocado with the lime juice and non-dairy milk until smooth.
- To prepare each spicy chickpea breakfast burrito bowl, add 1/2 cup of cooked rice blend to a bowl. To the bowl, add about 3/8 cup blackened chickpeas (a fourth of the recipe); a big handful of chopped cabbage; 1/4 cup salsa (or to taste); and top with 1/4 cup of the avocado mixture. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired, and serve.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.