This post is sponsored by House Foods. As always, all content is my own. Sponsors allow me to keep bringing you new recipes like this Vegan Garlic Bread Pasta!
A few months ago, I saw something on the internet that sounded really delicious. It was called Garlic Bread Pasta and it was made by taking pasta and covering it with toasted breadcrumbs and almost an entire stick of butter.
That recipe was beyond the reaches of what I’d normally even attempt to veganize or make healthier. Nevertheless, the idea of it stuck with me. Capturing the flavors of garlic bread is a very nostalgic thing for me and it stayed with me as strongly as any wild rice soup craving.
Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2017, when House Foods asked me to create a comfort food inspired recipe using their delicious tofu shirataki noodles. I’ve written about shirataki noodles once before. They’re a grain-free, almost calorie-free, low-carb alternative to traditional noodles. They’re a little more slippery and chewy than “regular” pasta but tasty in their own right and fun to experiment with!
With the idea of a vegan garlic bread pasta in the back of my mind, I realized that using shirataki noodles could be a wonderful way to make the dish lighter, and pare it down from 2 different breadlike ingredients to only one.
Not to worry – I also developed a completely grain-free version of this recipe using walnut crumbs, so those avoiding grains entirely can still enjoy! But the basic version of this vegan garlic bread pasta recipe is as follows:
- Infuse garlic into a mixture of olive oil (for flavor) and coconut oil (for buttery mouthfeel)
- Add a seasoned garlic herb breadcrumb mixture (yes, more garlic – I find that a mix of fresh and powdered garlic gives that realistic garlic bread flavor) and cook until browned
- Add your tofu shirataki noodles and cook until hot
- Garnish with parsley, red pepper flakes, and vegan parmesan if desired!
I hope you enjoy this slightly lighter twist on a comforting dish!
Vegan Garlic Bread Pasta
- 1 package House Foods Tofu Shirataki Spaghetti
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp refined coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- chopped fresh parsley and red pepper flakes optional, for serving
- hemp seed parmesan optional, for serving
- Open the shirataki spaghetti package and drain and rinse the noodles well. Using kitchen shears to snip them in half or thirds. Add the spaghetti to a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 2 minutes on high. Drain the noodles again, then return them to the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. Drain a final time if necessary, and set aside.
- In a skillet, warm the olive oil and coconut oil together over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant and softened.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, dried herbs, and black pepper. Turn the skillet heat up to medium and add the breadcrumbs, stirring vigorously to combine them with the garlic and oil. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the breadcrumbs are evenly browned throughout, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and the shirataki noodles to the pan and use tongs or a stirring fork to combine the breadcrumbs mixture and pasta together. Cook for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs, red pepper flakes, and vegan parmesan if desired.
Inspired by Mantitlement.
For another shirataki noodle recipe, check out my Spaghetti and Lentil Balls!
Looks so beautiful & appetizing !!