Lately I’ve been noticing that bowls are all the rage! It makes complete sense to me. They’re easy, portable, and generally delicious ways to build a complete meal. I realized that the last time I shared such a recipe was this spring vegetable barley bowl way back in March 2014. (Meaning that March 2014 is now considered to be a long time ago… yikes). At the moment I’m looking for something a little warmer and more comforting, so I settled on making teriyaki cauliflower rice bowls featuring those luscious teriyaki sweet potatoes from earlier this week.
Because today is all about finally bandwagoning on trends that have already been around for a while, I decided to try my hand recently at making cauliflower rice. I have to say, I really really like it! I consider it extremely different in both taste and texture from actual rice. I mean, it tastes like cauliflower. However, it IS similar in a key way: it does a great job of standing up to a robust sauce like teriyaki. You can get my more detailed guide to making cauliflower rice here.
I’m certainly not discontinuing my grain consumption. More than anything else, I just want to eat as many vegetables as possible. Our CSA ended in late November and since then my vegetable intake hasn’t been what it used to be. I think I’m still getting a passing grade on the veggies, but during CSA season it feels like an A+. =P
So anyway, my playful way of making these teriyaki cauliflower rice bowls not-so-grain-free-after-all was to add a whole bunch of fire-roasted corn. But if you avoid grains for any reason, just swap the corn with a veggie of your choice! I thought corn was a vegetable until probably like two years ago. Maybe even more recently than that. Oops! It’s a whole grain, though 🙂
By the by, I do have quite a few grain-free recipes on my site. You can view all of them via the grain-free tag. I even have some vegan and paleo recipes (which are a subset of the grain-free recipes)! The current tag and category label system starts from July 2014. I am working on going back in time to also correctly tag and categorize the earlier posts. Whenever I finally finish I will revamp the recipe index to show them all. Man do I wish I had started doing these from the outset!
This ends (for now) the teriyaki phase on my blog. Next we are going into comfort food territory… with BBQ!
Teriyaki Cauliflower Rice Bowls
For the cauliflower rice:
- 1 head of cauliflower leaves and tough stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 inch ginger root peeled and minced or grated
For the teriyaki cauliflower rice bowls (ingredients are enough for about 4 bowls):
- 1 recipe cauliflower rice (ingredients above)
- 1 recipe teriyaki sweet potatoes
- 2 cups shelled cooked edamame (I used frozen & thawed)
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels (optional) (I used frozen & thawed fire-roasted corn)
- 1 avocado sliced or cubed (see notes)
- 3 green onions or scallions sliced
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- extra teriyaki sauce for serving (optional)
For the cauliflower rice:
- Make cauliflower rice according to these instructions, with one modification: saute the garlic and ginger in the oil first until soft, before adding the cauliflower.
For the teriyaki cauliflower rice bowls:
- To a bowl, add about a quarter of the cauliflower rice (approximately 1 heaping cup), teriyaki sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup edamame, 1/2 cup corn, and a quarter of the avocado. Drizzle with additional teriyaki sauce if desired, and top with green onions and (optional) sesame seeds.
Try more of my vegan, Asian-inspired recipes: