Whip up a batch of blackened chickpeas and use them to make these delicious spicy chickpea avocado cucumber bites! This is a bite-sized summery appetizer that is very refreshing.
I was originally inspired to make this after coming across Closet Cooking’s blackened shrimp avocado cucumber bites. I replaced the shrimp with an ingredient that’s cheaper, easier to cook, and just as tasty: the almighty garbanzo bean. Use my blackened chickpea recipe or your own favorite crispy pan-fried or roasted chickpeas to top these little pieces of cucumber heaven.
As for the rest of this appetizer, it simply consists of sliced cucumber rounds, topped with mashed avocado (or guacamole if you please), an optional drizzle of chipotle crema or chipotle mayo, and sprinkled with fresh herbs (parsley, basil, or chives are all great here).
If you’re serving these chickpea avocado cucumber bites to a crowd, just be a little more judicious with the chipotle drizzle than I was in the photos. Happy eating!
Spicy Chickpea Avocado Cucumber Bites
- 1 avocado mashed well (or substitute about 4 oz. prepared guacamole)
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice (omit if using guacamole)
- salt and pepper to taste (omit if using guacamole)
- 2 cucumbers cut into thick slices
- 1/2 recipe blackened chickpeas (or other spicy roasted or fried chickpeas of choice)
- 2 tbsp chipotle crema (optional) (or vegan chipotle mayo)
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or other herbs for garnish
- Stir the lemon or lime juice into the avocado, and season the avocado mash to taste with salt and pepper.
- Onto each cucumber slice, spread a small amount of avocado mash, and press a small handful of spicy chickpeas into the avocado. If using, drizzle lightly with chipotle crema or vegan chipotle mayo. Garnish with fresh parsley.