This is the most amazing crisp Thai cabbage salad served with a supremely easy, 3-ingredient red curry vinaigrette. This salad will blow your mind!
This year I have been eating more salads than ever before, but I’m still not craving actual lettuce. (See exhibit A: my vegan pea salad). So I decided it was about time to revive this ancient Thai cabbage salad recipe from 2013, which most of you have never seen because it was hiding meekly in my deepest recipe archives.
This salad is not authentic. I don’t think you’d ever see it served in Thailand. However, it’s bursting with Thai-inspired flavors, especially the red curry dressing. All you need to do to make this fabulous dressing is whisk together Thai red curry paste (check the ingredients to make sure yours is vegan – Thai Kitchen is my go-to), lime juice, and a little bit of sesame oil.
The rest of the salad is comprised of crisp raw red cabbage; sweet fresh mango; juicy bell pepper strips; scallion, basil and mint; and roasted peanuts. I used some maple-roasted peanuts from my local co-op, but plain salted peanuts are just as nice.
If you’ve never worked with raw cabbage before, you should know that slicing it correctly is important. Giant chunks of raw cabbage are no fun to chew, but delicate, thin tendrils of cabbage are delish! Fifteen Spatulas has a great guide if you need some visual instructions.
This Thai cabbage salad is absolutely bursting with flavor, texture, and nutrition! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Thai Cabbage Salad with Red Curry Vinaigrette
For the Thai cabbage salad:
- 1/2 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe mango (or 2 small) thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers (red is best, orange or yellow also work) thinly sliced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh mint thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup salted roasted peanuts
- Prepare the red curry vinaigrette by whisking together all of the ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cabbage, mango, bell pepper, scallions, mint and basil. Drizzle the red curry dressing over the mixture and toss to combine. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill if not serving immediately.
- Before serving, sprinkle with roasted peanuts.