Everything bagel seasoning is having a moment. I see the Trader Joe’s “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning pop up on my Instagram feed on a daily basis and all sorts of everything-flavored concoctions on my blog roll.
But wait! Before you accuse me of bandwagoning, I’ve been proudly hosting an everything hummus recipe here since 2014. Yep, that’s right, I liked everything bagel-flavored things before it was cool and I’m desperate for your approval now.
Back in the day I actually roasted fresh garlic and onion bits to make my everything seasoning, but I’m older and lazier now. Dried minced onion and garlic do the trick just fine; and as a bonus, you can mix up the exact quantity that you need since it comes from pantry spices that won’t go off. A quick toasting of the spices in a hot pan gives the final mix that mouthwatering bakery flavor.
Coarse salt for everything bagel seasoning
Recently when I was whipping up a batch of this seasoning I realized I couldn’t find my coarse salt. Maybe my roommate used it all? Not sure, but I ended up finding a little tip that might be helpful. I have a little salt grinder to use for finishing salt on recipes. This whole time I never realized that the grinder has different coarseness settings. I was able to put it on the coarsest one and get the perfect sized salt crystals for everything bagel spice.
Everything bagel seasoning uses
Everything bagel spice is good on tons of things, of course! That’s why it’s exploded in popularity recently. Here are a few more ideas:
- On hummus
- Sprinkled on avocado toast
- Eaten on popped popcorn with olive oil or your favorite vegan butter
- Stirred into your cashew cream cheese
- Substituted for salt in the tzatziki for your tofu gyros (trust me on this one…)
Plus, another summery recipe suggestion coming in a few days! I hope you enjoy putting this everything bagel seasoning on… everything!
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp dried garlic
- 1 tbsp dried onion
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- Heat a cast iron or regular skillet over medium heat. Add all of the ingredients except for the salt, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 60 seconds or until just starting to become fragrant. Remove from the heat immediately and stir in the salt.
- Leftover everything bagel seasoning, once cooled, can be stored in an airtight container for weeks.